WHO has declared an Ebola emergency, but not the kind most headlines suggest. The World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak affecting the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on May 17, 2026, after confirmed cross-border spread connected the outbreak in eastern DRC to imported cases in Uganda. A PHEIC is the highest level of international alert WHO can issue under the International Health Regulations (IHR), but WHO explicitly stated that it is not the same as a pandemic, and that this situation does not meet the threshold for a “pandemic emergency.” WHO says the outbreak is being driven by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, a rare variant with only two prior recorded outbreaks in history and currently no approved vaccines or targeted treatments.
PHEIC declarations get wide attention because they are reserved for “extraordinary events” that could threaten other countries and require coordinated global action. But WHO has also stressed that a PHEIC does not mean the outbreak is a pandemic. WHO said the situation does not meet its threshold for a “pandemic emergency,” and it assessed overall global risk as low, even though risk remains high at the national and regional level.
What Happened?
The outbreak was first detected in Ituri Province in eastern DRC after health authorities investigated clusters of unexplained illnesses and deaths, including deaths among healthcare workers. WHO said it received an alert on May 5 regarding a high-mortality outbreak in Mongbwalu Health Zone. Laboratory analysis later confirmed Bundibugyo virus disease (BVD), a species of Ebola virus.
On May 15, the DRC Ministry of Health officially declared the country’s 17th Ebola outbreak since the virus was first identified in 1976. The same day, Uganda confirmed an imported Ebola case linked to travel from DRC. A second imported case was identified shortly afterward in Kampala. WHO then escalated the situation to a PHEIC on May 17 because international spread had already occurred and evidence suggested the outbreak might be substantially larger than initially detected.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus described the outbreak as deeply concerning because of its speed, scale, and spread into urban areas and conflict-affected regions. International agencies including WHO, Africa CDC, CDC, and humanitarian partners have deployed experts, medical supplies, laboratory support, and emergency funding to DRC and Uganda.
Source: WHO – Ebola disease caused by Bundibugyo, Democratic Republic of the Congo & Uganda virus
CDC – Ebola Disease Outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda
Current Case Numbers and Spread
At the time WHO declared the emergency, the organization reported 8 laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases, and 80 suspected deaths in DRC’s Ituri Province. Uganda had also confirmed two imported cases, including one death in Kampala.
Since then, the numbers have continued to rise as surveillance expanded. Reuters later reported (May 21) that DRC had recorded more than 600 suspected cases and over 130 suspected deaths, while additional confirmed infections emerged outside the original outbreak area, including in South Kivu province.
Health officials warn that the outbreak may have circulated undetected for weeks before confirmation, partly because the Bundibugyo strain is rare and difficult to identify quickly. Early testing initially failed to detect the virus because standard Ebola tests are primarily designed for the more common Zaire strain. (Source)
What Is Bundibugyo Ebola?
This outbreak is being driven by Bundibugyo virus disease, a less common type of Ebola first identified in Uganda in 2007. Before this outbreak, Bundibugyo had caused only two recorded outbreaks in history, in Uganda in 2007 – 2008 and in DRC in 2012, making it one of the rarest and least-studied Ebola strains in existence. The strain differs from the better-known Zaire Ebola strain: Zaire has a licensed vaccine and several approved treatments, while Bundibugyo does not currently have an approved vaccine or a virus-specific treatment.
Ebola viruses can cause a severe illness called viral hemorrhagic fever. Symptoms often include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and, in some cases, bleeding and organ failure. The virus spreads through direct contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids, contaminated surfaces, or infected animals, which is why outbreaks can be especially dangerous in healthcare settings without strong infection-control measures. See WHO Ebola Fact Sheet.
Historically, Bundibugyo outbreaks have reported fatality rates of roughly 30%-50%, lower than some Ebola strains, but still very serious. WHO notes that outcomes improve when people get early, supportive care, especially hydration and treatment of complications.
Why Health Authorities Are Concerned
Containment is especially difficult because the outbreak is unfolding in eastern DRC, where armed conflict, population displacement, and a strained healthcare system limit how quickly responders can work. WHO has warned that insecurity and movement restrictions are interrupting contact tracing and slowing down the isolation of suspected cases. In some instances, people with symptoms reportedly died before health teams could reach them for monitoring.
The outbreak has also reached urban and semi-urban areas, including Kampala and Goma. That raises the risk that transmission could continue unnoticed in densely populated communities.
Health officials are also worried about spread in healthcare settings. WHO said infections and deaths among healthcare workers may indicate gaps in infection-prevention practices in some facilities.
Public distrust and misinformation are further complicating the response. In recent days, protests broke out in parts of eastern Congo after families challenged Ebola-related burial procedures. The Associated Press reported that, amid rising anger and mistrust, residents reportedly burned an Ebola treatment center.
(Source: AP News, Al Jazeera)
How This Outbreak Connects to Past Ebola Crises
The 2026 DRC-Uganda outbreak is not the first time WHO has declared Ebola a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). However, health experts say the current outbreak is being watched closely because it revives several warning signs seen during earlier Ebola crises, especially the major West African epidemic between 2014 and 2016 and the eastern DRC outbreak between 2018 and 2020.
The 2014–2016 West Africa Epidemic
The most devastating Ebola outbreak in history began in Guinea in late 2013 before spreading rapidly across Liberia and Sierra Leone. WHO later declared it a PHEIC on August 8, 2014. The epidemic eventually caused more than 28,000 cases and over 11,000 deaths, making it larger than all previous Ebola outbreaks combined.
That outbreak changed global public health policy in major ways. Investigations later found that delayed international response, weak healthcare systems, misinformation, and distrust toward authorities all contributed to the crisis worsening. Researchers and WHO reviews later described the response as too slow during the early months of the epidemic. (Source)
The 2014 epidemic also demonstrated how Ebola can spread internationally through travel routes. Cases were eventually detected outside Africa, including in the United States, Spain, the United Kingdom, Italy, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal, showing that airport monitoring and rapid detection systems are critical even for diseases that originate far away.
One major lesson from 2014 was the importance of acting early. Health experts now say WHO’s much faster response in 2026 reflects lessons learned from criticism during the West African epidemic. Unlike 2014, WHO moved quickly to issue a PHEIC after confirmed cross-border spread into Uganda.
The 2018-2020 DRC Ebola Outbreak
The current outbreak also draws comparisons with the 2018-2020 Ebola outbreak in eastern DRC, often called the Kivu Ebola epidemic. WHO declared that outbreak a PHEIC in July 2019 after Ebola cases crossed into Uganda.
That outbreak occurred in conflict-affected regions of eastern Congo, similar to the current situation. Armed violence, population displacement, attacks on treatment centers, and public mistrust repeatedly disrupted response efforts. More than 3,400 cases and over 2,200 deaths were recorded before the outbreak was finally declared over in 2020.
However, there is one major difference between the 2018 outbreak and the current 2026 outbreak: the virus strain. The earlier epidemic was caused by the Zaire strain of Ebola, for which vaccines and targeted therapeutics were available. The 2026 outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain, which currently has no approved vaccine or virus-specific treatment. Health experts say that lack of medical countermeasures increases concern about containment.
Why Experts Say History Matters
Public health specialists say previous Ebola outbreaks shaped modern outbreak response systems. After 2014, many African countries strengthened surveillance systems, laboratory networks, airport screening procedures, and emergency response coordination. Regional organizations and international agencies also improved cross-border cooperation and emergency preparedness.
At the same time, experts warn that several old challenges remain unresolved. Community mistrust, healthcare shortages, misinformation, and insecurity continue to complicate Ebola responses today, particularly in conflict zones such as eastern DRC.
Researchers and WHO officials also note that social media now plays a larger role than during earlier outbreaks. During both the 2014 epidemic and the 2018 DRC outbreak, false claims spread rapidly online and contributed to distrust toward health authorities.
The Key Historical Context
Although Ebola outbreaks are not new, the current situation combines several factors that have historically made containment difficult: cross-border spread, conflict zones, urban transmission risks, healthcare-worker infections, misinformation, and a virus strain without approved vaccines. At the same time, global preparedness and surveillance systems are stronger today than they were during the 2014 crisis. (The Guardian)
Health authorities therefore say the current outbreak should be understood as serious but not equivalent to a COVID-style pandemic. The PHEIC declaration is partly intended to prevent the world from repeating the delayed-response mistakes seen during earlier Ebola emergencies.
Source: Ebola outbreak 2014-2016 – West Africa
Ebola: Ten years later—Lessons learned and future pandemic preparedness – PMC
What a PHEIC Actually Means
A Public Health Emergency of International Concern is WHO’s highest formal alert under the International Health Regulations. It is designed to trigger coordinated international action during serious cross-border health threats. Previous PHEIC declarations include COVID-19, mpox, polio, and earlier Ebola outbreaks.
WHO said the Ebola outbreak met the criteria for a PHEIC because it is an extraordinary event, poses a risk of international spread, and requires a coordinated international response. Notably, the WHO Director-General declared the PHEIC before convening an Emergency Committee, the first time a DG has taken this step, citing the urgent need for immediate action under Article 12 of the IHR. The Emergency Committee subsequently met and agreed with their determination.
However, WHO specifically stressed that the outbreak does not currently meet the threshold for a pandemic emergency. This distinction matters because many social media users have interpreted the declaration as meaning the world is facing another COVID-style global crisis. WHO says that is not the case.
In practical terms, the declaration is intended to accelerate international funding, surveillance, laboratory testing, contact tracing, cross-border coordination, infection prevention, and community engagement.
APAC Context: Is Asia-Pacific at High Risk?
For the Asia-Pacific region, the current risk remains low. There is no evidence of community transmission in APAC countries, and the outbreak is still concentrated in DRC and Uganda.
However, several APAC governments have strengthened screening and preparedness measures following the WHO declaration. According to a report by the South China Morning Post, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Nepal announced increased monitoring or public-health measures at ports of entry after the Ebola alert. The report also stated that South Korea introduced mandatory health reporting for travelers arriving from the DRC, Uganda, and South Sudan, while mainland China required certain arrivals from affected regions to declare symptoms or possible contact exposure. Hong Kong authorities additionally inspected quarantine facilities previously used during the COVID-19 pandemic as part of preparedness checks.
The concern in APAC is therefore preparedness rather than active spread. Ebola can travel internationally through infected travelers before symptoms become obvious, which is why health authorities are focusing on airport monitoring and rapid detection systems. WHO has repeatedly said that blanket border closures are not recommended because they can disrupt response operations and push travel into less-monitored routes.
At present, no APAC country has reported locally transmitted Ebola cases linked to the outbreak.
Ebola vs. Hantavirus: Why They Are Different Threats
Recent online discussions have frequently compared the Ebola outbreak with hantavirus outbreaks, but the two diseases are fundamentally different.
Ebola is spread primarily through direct contact with infected bodily fluids or contaminated materials. Outbreak control depends heavily on rapid isolation, contact tracing, infection prevention, and safe burial practices.
Hantavirus, by contrast, is mainly a rodent-borne disease. People typically become infected by inhaling particles from rodent urine, droppings, or saliva. Human-to-human transmission is rare for most hantaviruses.
The public health focus is therefore very different. Ebola is primarily a cross-border outbreak containment challenge, while hantavirus is usually associated with rodent exposure, sanitation, and environmental conditions.
Experts caution against treating the two outbreaks as equivalent threats. Ebola raises concerns about healthcare transmission and international outbreak control, whereas hantavirus is more closely tied to localized rodent exposure risks.
Source:
CDC – Ebola Disease Outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda
Ebola Misinformation on Social Media
As with previous Ebola outbreaks, misinformation is spreading rapidly online alongside legitimate public health updates.
Researchers and public health organizations have documented how Ebola-related misinformation circulates on social media during outbreaks. Common false claims allege that Ebola is airborne, man-made, politically engineered, or part of a hidden agenda. Other posts falsely claim that hospitals and health workers are deliberately harming patients.
Public health experts warn that misinformation can undermine outbreak control by eroding trust in clinicians, discouraging people from seeking care, and fueling hostility toward response teams. Researchers also find that emotionally charged rumors often spread rapidly during disease outbreaks because fear and uncertainty encourage online sharing.
WHO Africa has advised users to rely on verified information from health authorities and avoid sharing sensational or unverified claims online. The video below, shared by WHO Africa on Facebook, illustrates examples of common false claims circulating about the outbreak and how to identify them:
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1CpU6uMVD6
Health officials say the coming weeks will be critical in determining whether containment measures can prevent wider regional spread.
Source:
Council on Foreign Relations – Disinformation and Ebola (2019, background)
TIME – Ebola and Social Media Conspiracies (2014, background)
AP News – Residents burn an Ebola treatment center in Congo as anger grows over the outbreak
BMJ Analysis on Ebola Misinformation


